Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Gluten Free Crepes

Crepes have always been one of my favorite meals/breakfast items/ desserts.  They are so delicious and versatile!  I knew these could be converted to GF since my little brother had done it once before.  Also, The Creperie in Edmonton serves gluten free crepes!  (As a side note, I also have their GF bread recipe... but I haven't attempted it yet!)  I hadn't tried making crepes myself since I was hoping to get a crepe maker for Christmas.  A crepe maker is basically an inverted frying pan that you dip into your batter, creating a paper thin crepe!  I had never tried the frying pan method.  But I am impatient, so I figured I could try at least once to make crepes in the frying pan... and voila!  This recipe comes from Living Without.  Try them sweet or savory, for breakfast or any meal of the day!  The flour blend I chose is a high protein mix, because it lends itself nicely to high elasticity.



Gluten Free Crepes

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup bean flour
  • 1/4 cup potato starch
  • 1/4 cup tapioca starch
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 Tbsp grapeseed, canola, or coconut oil

Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.  Do not over-mix
  2. Cover and refrigerate for 30 min to 3 hours
  3. Lightly oil frying pan of choice (optional) - I didn't, my non-stick pan didn't need it
  4. Stir batter and pour 2-4 Tbsp into the pan (depends on desired thickness and size of pan), tilt to coat the bottom with a thin layer of the batter
  5. Cook just until the top is set and the edges are slightly browned.  Turn the crepe over and cook for a few minutes until lightly browned.  Stir the batter before each crepe.
  6. Serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment