Thursday, February 7, 2013

Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli

My wonderful husband bought me a ravioli maker for Christmas.  I love it.  It is my new favourite toy.  It isn't really a ravioli maker though, more like a ravioli mold.  Either way, with my GF pasta recipe in hand, I went to town!

My brother and I decided it was time to try growing some more types of squash in my mothers garden this past summer.  I insisted on spaghetti squash and acorn squash, he opted for butternut squash.  I am sure glad he did!  Butternut squash made the most delightful filling in these little ravioli's.



This recipe comes from the Food Network - Emeril Lagasse, and uses my GF pasta recipe as a base.  You can find that link here.

Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli


Begin by mixing up a batch of gluten free fresh pasta and roll into long sheets - the size will depend on the size of ravioli mold you are using.  I would recommend going for sheets about 4" by 12", because you need a little overhang on the mold.

Filling Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons minced shallots or onions
  • 1 cup roasted butternut squash puree
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 3 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • Pinch nutmeg

Directions

  1. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter
  2. Add the shallots and saute for 1 minute
  3. Add the squash puree and cook until the mixture is slightly dry, about 2 to 3 minutes
  4. Season with salt and pepper
  5. Stir in the cream and continue to cook for 2 minutes
  6. Remove from the heat and stir in 3 tablespoons cheese and nutmeg, to taste
  7. Season with salt and pepper and cool completely

Constructing the Ravioli

  1. Flour your ravioli mold, I used white rice flour for this.  It makes it MUCH easier to coax the little raviolis out of the mold afterwards.
  2. Once you have rolled out two sheets of pasta to fit over your ravioli mold, lay one sheet loosely over your mold.  Leave some room for filling in each of the pockets.  
  3. Add about a teaspoon of filling into each pocket.
  4. Lay the second sheet over the top and gently press the two together.  I used a rolling pin at first, but found my fingers did the best job of this.  Press firmly along the edges of each ravioli so that you can see the mold through the dough.  Do not completely sever each individual ravioli.
  5. Flip the mold over and use the extra pasta dough to gently pull the entire sheet of ravioli's out of the mold.  Use a knife or a ravioli cutter to separate them.
  6. Cook or freeze immediately.


Browned Butter and Sage Sauce

I served these with a lovely butter sage sauce, as follows:

  1. Melt about 1/4 cup of butter in a saute pan.  Add chopped fresh sage leaves and cook until slightly browned.  
  2. OPTIONAL:  Add some heavy cream and heat through.
  3. Pour over ravioli and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment