Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Gluten Free Tempura Battered Fish

I have a confession to make.  I'm addicted to cooking shows.  When my husband and I first moved into our apartment, we signed up for internet and they threw in cable as a promotion for 6 months.  We never really thought we wanted cable.  But I quickly discovered that the Food Network was a fabulous place to spend my days off.  Josh really isn't complaining, he benefits from my entertainment.



Early on in our relationship, my husband (then boyfriend) learned something about me.  I get ridiculous food cravings that don't go away until they are satisfied.  Even if that means waiting weeks to indulge.  The problem with being a celiac is that I often crave food that I can't have.  For example, every time we drive past a chinese restaurant I desperately want a spring roll.  Too bad I have yet to find a chinese restaurant that is able to make me one gluten free.  No more instant gratification, I must learn to satisfy my food cravings in my own kitchen.  A major one as of late has been tempura battered fish.  Oh to be able to order fish and chips in the restaurant.  I confessed to my dear hubby that if we were to fly to London, I would be "bad" for fish and chips.  I would totally stray from my diet for that moment of deliciousness.  For those of you celiacs reading this, the consequences of straying are rarely worth it.  Perhaps never worth it, depending on the severity of your symptoms.

Back to the Food Network.  I had watched a few chefs on separate occasions whip up a batch of tempura batter on their show.  I thought "that looks so easy, I could do that."  The tipping point on the scale was when one chef chose rice flour and cornstarch to make his batter, instead of the normal gluten-containing stuff.  I may have done a happy dance in my living room, right there.  "Yes!" I thought, "yes, I CAN do this!"  And I didn't even have to figure it out myself.  I love those moments.

The craving that pushed me to my breaking point was in the middle of iHop with my in-laws.  I was along just for the company, since I didn't think there would by anything I could eat.  But I spend most of the meal staring at an advertisement for fish and chips.  In a moment of weakness I turned to my sister in law and asked if she would like to make tempura battered fish with me later that day.  She agreed, and off we went.

Tempura Battered Fish  

INGREDIENTS

  • 1-2 eggs (optional)
  • One can ice-cold sprite, 7-up or club soda (I used sprite)
  • 2 cups gluten free flour mix (I used one called Cup4Cup, since it was what my in-laws had on hand for me)
    • Trying this at home, I would use a mixture of rice flour and cornstarch or potato starch.
  • 3 filets of fish (cod, haddock, halibut)
**  The quantities are approximate.  You are looking for a fairly runny batter.

DIRECTIONS

  1. Whisk eggs. (optional)
  2. Mix all ingredients together, the batter should have some lumps in it.
  3. Cut your fish into desired sized pieces.
  4. Heat oil on stove until hot.
  5. Dip fish and slowly submerge into the oil.  Dropping it in too fast will cause it to sink and stick to the bottom, probably losing the batter along the way.  
  6. Turn part way through cooking.  The batter will be a light golden brown when finished.
  7. Allow to dry on paper towel to prevent sogginess.  
  8. Serve with tartar sauce and/or lemon wedges.
  9. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment