Friday, May 31, 2013

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Quinoa has risen quickly as a popular new "supergrain" along with the surge of gluten free products.  But I find it is quite bland on its own, so I haven't experimented much with it until now.  Recently I found a wild rice mix at Costco that had quinoa in it and I've started to appreciate the grain more.



Since it is summer and my apartment becomes unbearingly hot if I turn the oven on, salads have become my mainstay.  Good thing my husband loves salads.  Not kidding!  He lists salads in the top 5 of his favorite foods!  Maybe I'll do a series on salads here in the very near future...

Greek salad is one of our favorites and I make it often.  Feta cheese is just so yummy!  Instead of making the usual wild rice and greek salad to go with my marinated chicken breasts, I opted to try something new.

This recipe was inspired by the one provided on the back of my quinoa packaging.  Or highly, highly adapted from it.  Whichever.  Enjoy!

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad



Serves 2

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1 cup chicken broth OR 1 cup water plus 1 teaspoon GF chicken bouillon powder
  • 1/2 cucumber, diced
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 2 Tablespoons finely diced sweet onion
  • 1 Tablespoon each:  fresh parsley, basil & chives; minced
  • 1/4 cup diced or crumbled feta cheese
Dressing:
  • 2 Tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • salt & pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

  1. Cook the quinoa in the chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 12-15 minutes.
  2. Fluff the quinoa and let cool completely.
  3. Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.
  4. Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl.  Add the cooled quinoa and dressing.  Taste and adjust to preferences.  Allow to chill until serving.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment