Thursday, September 12, 2013

Brazilian Cheese Bread

Josh and his friends ate out at a Brazilian Steak House a while back and he came home raving about these little cheese biscuits they served.  "The waitress said they were made from tapioca starch so they'd be gluten free!"  I love how he's always thinking of me and what I could eat, even when I'm not with him.  Fast forward a few weeks and I stumbled across this recipe in a gluten free exchange group I'm in on Facebook.  Reading through the recipe I realized this is a NATURALLY gluten free recipe.  They haven't switched to tapioca starch to appease the celiacs out there.  While I know I'm capable of making delicious converted GF food, when a recipe is naturally GF I get excited.



This recipe comes from Simply Recipes.  I have not altered it in any way.

This recipe is about as easy as it could be.  You throw the ingredients in a blender, pour into greased mini muffin tins, and bake.  Done.  Keep in mind that Brazilian Cheese Bread is very chewy.  They have a similar appearance to Yorkshire pudding (they rise and collapse).



Brazilian Cheese Bread



This picture comes from Simple Recipes as well - I never remember to take pictures of my own food... too busy devouring I think.


INGREDIENTS
1 egg (at room temperature)
1/3 cup olive oil
2/3 cup milk
Scant 1 1/2 cups tapioca flour
Generous 1/2 cup grated cheese (choose your favorite, experiment, etc.  I used cheddar, the original recipe used queso fresco)
1 tsp salt

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Add all ingredients to a blender and pulse until smooth
3. Pour into greased mini muffin tins (about 2/3 full).  If you don't use all the batter, it can be stored in the fridge for a few days.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes until puffed and slightly golden brown.

Enjoy hot and fresh out of the oven or cooled off and eaten the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment